A Bunch of Crooks

The Crook family blog.

Friday, September 29, 2006

What can I say?

It was a lovely fall day yesterday when I arrived at school and parked. I loaded my arms up so I wouldn't have to make a second trip to the parking lot. I had my purse, keys, lunch bag and a whole pile of books which I was trying to juggle while I headed toward the steps to the door. I felt my left foot slide...on a small rock? uneven pavement? I still don't know exactly what happened, but the next thing I knew, I went down on my knees. Geez! What an embarrasment. I was glad nobody was around.

I checked to make sure my hip was OK. No problem there, but boy did my knee smart. I got up and looked at the dirty patch on my right knee and the dime sized spot of blood. Dang! I was going to have to go through the day with that stuff on my pants. Well, at least there were no rips or snags. I started to gather up my belongings when I felt the first trickle down my leg. I hoped it was not what I thought it was. No, I didn't pee my pants.

I made it up the steps, into the school and into the ladies' room where I found a huge gash that was gaping open in my knee. Blood was running down my leg and splattering onto my sock and shoe. At first glance, I knew I was going to have to head for the emergency room. So I went to the nearby counselor's office and he jumped into action.

Soon I found myself in the hospital getting stitched up. The PA put what I think she called "mattress" stitches in. They are extra strong and are used on placed that might have a hard time holding together...like a knee or elbow. She pulled the skin together with a tiny ridge at the top. The stitches went in from the side, underneath the ridge and out the other side. The she moved down the gash about 1/4 inch and put the needle back through going the other way. She put 3 of those stitches in. The laceration was 3 cm wide and pretty deep.

After I got sewed together, they put me in a brace that extends from ankle to hip so I couldn't bend my knee. Yep, here we go again! Same knee, same side as my new hip.

I was most amazed that the laceration was caused by the impact of the fall rather than by some object that I fell on. My skin and underlying tissue just split open. My pants don't even have a loose thread on them. And they were rayon type slacks.

I saw Lance Howell, RN, at the hospital that day. He asked about everyone. I also saw Eric Whitesides again. When Eric saw me he said, "What now?"

What can I say?

1 Comments:

Blogger Nate said...

I'm reminded of the time you cut your finger open peeling potatos, got stitches then slammed the same finger in the car door and broke it.

Sorry for laughing at your expense...again.

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home