A Bunch of Crooks

The Crook family blog.

Friday, October 13, 2006

crazy week...

It has been a very interesting week. Sunday night I noticed the boys both had a fever. Monday they were both down all day and complaining of body aches. Nate suggested we get them tested for Strep. So I made an appointment for Tuesday morning. When they woke up they were both covered with a red rash. It looked like hives and they were itching like crazy. Our doctor informed me they were positive for strep and they had a really bad case of hives, which was weird that they both reacted that way. Anyway, wish this was the end of the story, but about an hour after getting home from the doctor I noticed that Caleb's lips were really swollen and starting to get oozing blisters. At a closer look, so were his ears. Triston also started to get blisters on his mouth, nose, and ears. We deicided they needed to be looked at again. So Wednesday morning we went back in to see the doctor. Triston had gotten much worse over night. His nose had started to slough a little skin. The doctor took one look at T and gave me a look that kinda panicked me. Eventually there were 3 doctors in the room looking at the boys trying to decide what to do. None of them had ever seen anything like this in all their years of practice. One doctor said it was probably Stevens Johnson Syndrome (very scary, look it up if you get a chance) caught in the early stages. She went and made a couple of calls and came back with an address of a pediatric dermatologist. She said to go and they will see us right away. At this point I was really panicked. They didn't know what was wrong and they were treating it pretty seriously. Calling Nate didn't help. He had done some research on the things they were suspecting and told me there was a 15% fatality rate. Nice. However, the dermatologist was very helpful and that made me feel better. After examining them she told me their mouths were covered with ulcers and blisters. Triston had blisters on his genitals. Caleb was starting to develop a little bit in his eyes. She said the way she was taught was to worry when there was more than one "mucus" area. Triston was by far more advanced and severe. She at first wanted to put him in the hospital, but decided we could try steroids that night and see if there was any improvment. She also confirmed it was on the same spectrum of Stevens Johnsons Syndrome just caught earlier. So we left, dosed them up with steroids and had an appointment to see the doctor in the morning. By morning they looked so much better! The blisters had started crusting over and there weren't any new ones. The doctor felt like they had improved enough too. The boys are finally feeling better. They actually slept all night. They are now all energized on steroids and their strep should be getting better. The most bizzare thing about this is that they both got it and that it was their reaction to strep. Most people who break out like this are allergic to their medication. My boys had the rash before they were even given medicine. Kinda weird. We are just glad they are okay and doing much better. Anyway, sorry for the big, long, boring story. I always tell Nate to write it because he is much more entertaining, but he is busy today. Enjoy the pictures! We have less than 6 weeks before this baby is born!
1st day of blisters:

After being on steroids for a day: 33 weeks pregnant:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOLY CRAP!!!! Man, that is not good, but i'm glad that they are showing improvement with the prednisone. Just follow the directions to a "T" because sometimes coming off of sterroids can be bad. But they look great, I guess.

Too bad it didn't happen around Halloween. Ready-made Zombie Eater costumes.

And there is a patient who comes into the hospital regularly named Stephen Johnson. We all laugh about that because he's a pain in the ass (PIA in medical terms), so the nurses regularly suffer from our own version of Stephen Johnson Syndrome.

Glad they are feeling better.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Oh my gosh! This was hardly boring, Jyll. It really was a jolt to me!

So will they be reacting this way every time they get strep? Would it be wise to look into what is causing them to get strep so much, such as adnoids or tonsils?

I am so glad you got them right in to the Dr.

And...I think you look cute. Can't wait for the big event.

3:10 PM  
Blogger Jyll said...

Both boys have had strep an awful lot. Their doctor even commented on how many times they have had it. I tried to get her to rip out Caleb's tonsils last year, but she said that is not what they do anymore. Nate and I also get strep really easy. Nate just had it a month ago. I still think they would have it less if they had no tonsils, but...

I hope they don't ever react to it this way again. We think it must have just been the strain of strep. Last year the kids had strep for like 3 months. They had to treat them over and over with different antibiotics until it finally went away. The doctor kept saying it is just a weird strain of strep!

Thanks for the nice comments on my huge belly! Nate says, "your just getting to that really big stage". :-) I thought I was smaller this time until I saw that picture!

5:23 PM  
Blogger Rabecca said...

Man I'm so out of the loop nowadays!! I've been so busy getting the house organized, that I haven't checked any of my messages or the blogs.

But man oh man, I would be freakin out if this was my two boys!

I too can't wait for the baby to come!

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home